Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pink Coat & Stinky Meat

I am trying to pack up my apartment and get everything that I don't need for the next month boxed away. I entered into the coat closet and found my pink fur coat that I had forgotten all about. I will give you a background on this coat, as it is quite entertaining. One evening when I first moved to Alaska, I had gone out shopping with a friend and we ended up at this local boutique full of clothing that really just doesn't fit my style. Well this friend that I was with made me try it on, told me it was a must have for the season (which I'm afraid that season still hasn't come) and pretty much forced me into buying it (she did pay half...that's how much she wanted me to have this coat!) I believe I wore it once that evening when she forced me to where it to Institute, and then packed it away only to be brought out for comic relief! Now, I know that some people actually do like this coat, and think that it was a great purchase, but I just don't get the same vibe from it. My favorite use for it was last year on Halloween when I dressed up as Cindy Lou Who from How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and the coat was perfect for the ensemble. So fast forward to today, I pull it out and decide to show it off for my roommates, which then brought eruptive laughter. As we are standing around laughing at not only me in the coat, but the history behind the coat our doorbell rang. Well, nobody ever rings our doorbell, most just walk themselves right in, so we were all a little startled. I decided it would be fun to answer the door dressed like above. Well, it was my roommates dad who had come to clean our big deep freeze that we have outside. Story goes as follows....we live in Alaska. People hunt moose, bear, goat amongst other big game I'm sure. People also do lots of fishing, because well there is lots and lots of Salmon and Halibut to be had. So, the freezer was full with a moose (I think the head was even still in there...gross, Iknow) and some fish. One day, about a year ago, the freezer got unplugged on accident, and without being noticed. It wasn't long before the smell of rotten meat and fish permeated the front of our house, but nobody new what it was from. We kept emptying the garbage that is next to the freezer, but the smell remained. Finally it was figured out....and we were all disgusted. Nobody wanted to deal with it, because well it isn't a light smell, it's foul!! So there the stinky freezer has sat for a year, not being usable, and storing lots of dead stinky meat. So, back to today, and the doorbell ringing. My friends dad has been kind enough to come and clean the freezer and take all the rotten meat to the eagle refuge. So, as I open the door I am greeted by him, who is holding the freezer door open (which is still full of stinky meat, mind you). He talks for a bit, and then all of a sudden it hits me. The smell was SO overpowering! And for anyone who doesn't know, I quit my CNA job at the hospital, and decided against Nursing School, due to my lack of control when it comes to smells. So I get this whiff of nasty meat carcass smell and leave, with the door slamming in this nice mans face, dry heaving, trying really hard not to vomit. Within seconds our whole house stunk like dead moose. It was horrible, but entertaining all at the same time. I had to run into the bathroom, just in case, but we all survived. I do believe we used an entire bottle of febreeze to help with the stench. But in the end, we were all laughing and I was still wearing this fancy coat of mine!

1 comment:

JElsie said...

Good times, good times.